Residential building consents

A lodgement meeting is required to submit the application for your building consent.

Building consent application forms are available from the Nelson City Council office, or you can download them from the consent forms and guides A - Z page.

Applications can be complex. Council recommends you engage a professional to help with the design work and drawings.

Lodgement meetings for residential building consent applications

A lodgement meeting must be booked at least two working days before it is required.  Please phone 03 546 0200 for an appointment.

At the meeting, a Building Officer will check your application to ensure all the required documentation has been provided.  This is not a check of the technical content of the information provided (this is done during processing of the consent).

  • If the building officer identifies that information is missing, you will be required to gather the missing information before your application is accepted. You will need to book another lodgement meeting to have the application's completeness checked again.
  • If the application is accepted, you will be required to the pay the deposit (see building fees and charges).  You will then be issued a building consent number and the documents will be taken for a technical check.  The application is considered "formally received".

Building consent application documents

The building consent application is made up of:

  • a completed application form
  • a completed lodgement checklist (BC78)
  • a certificate of title
  • a set of plans
  • specifications
  • any other documentation as stated on the lodgement checklist that is relevant to your project

Forms and checklists can be found on the Consent forms and guides A - Z page.

Note: the certificate of title must be less than three months old. Title can be obtained from LINZ website. If the site is new and does not yet have a Title, then a subdivision scheme plan is required.

Incomplete applications take a lot of time to work through and this slows the process for other people. Please be conscientious when submitting your application.  Make use of the included lodgement checklist to ensure all the relevant information is supplied to Council.

GoShift application forms

Nelson City Council uses GoShift forms: a common set of building consent application forms, to provide consistency and improve customer service across participating Councils.  For more information, please visit the GoShift website.

Restricted building work

The person applying for building consent is responsible for submitting the Memorandum (Certificate of Design Work) with their application. As the designer, you must provide a Memorandum (Certificate of Design Work) to the building owner. This Memorandum (Certificate of Design Work) needs to be given to the council when applying for building consent.

You can download the Memorandum - Certificate of Design Work from the Consents forms and guides A - Z page.

Building work that is in the Restricted Building Work category must only be done by or under the supervision of Licensed Building Practitioners, unless you are using the Owner-Builder Exemption. Please refer to the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment's website for more information on the owner-builder exemption.

Important note

Once a consent has been issued building work must commence within twelve (12) months of the date of issue. If it does not, the consent will lapse and a new consent must be applied for unless an extension of further time to commence work has been applied for and approved by the Building Consent Authority.

Next step

Processing building consents