Building consent inspections and certification

What inspections will be needed

The officer processing your application will do an assessment to determine what inspections will be necessary so that the Council can be satisfied that the building works will achieve compliance with the plans as approved.  A list of inspections and requirements for each inspection will be attached to the building consent.  If you believe anything on the inspection list is incorrect, please contact Council as soon as possible.

Please ensure that you read the inspection requirements and are familiar with them before starting building work.

Stages of construction that require inspection

Inspections are required for all stages of construction:

  • Excavation/Foundation/Reinforcing or Piled Foundation
  • Under floor drainage
  • Concrete floor/Damp proof membrane or timber floor framing
  • Building framing and exterior building wrap
  • Flashings
  • Exterior cladding
  • Pre-lining including insulation to floors, walls and ceilings
  • Plumbing and drainage
  • Roof framing and roof underlay
  • Internal linings and bracing
  • Bathroom/wet areas waterproofing
  • Final inspection of all building works including exterior and finished ground levels

Any safety equipment required for the inspection, such as scaffolding or high ladders, are expected to be provided on site for the inspection.

Inspections by external specialists

In addition to the Council’s inspection, it may be necessary, in special circumstances, for external specialists to conduct inspections that fall outside the normal building inspection process, eg. having a geo-technical engineer confirm ground stability, or having an aspect of specific structural design checked by a chartered professional engineer.

If a specialist inspection is necessary, you will be advised before the consent is issued.  This would be included in the inspection codes or addendum to building consent.

Booking an inspection

When you are fully ready for an inspection, please contact the inspection administrators on 03 546 0334 and make sure you have the following information available:

  • Site address
  • Building consent number
  • Name and phone number of contact person on site
  • Licensed Building Practitioner name and number (if applicable)
  • Date and time the inspection is required
  • Type of inspection, e.g. plumbing, drainage, foundation etc - include the inspection code if possible (e.g. IE06 or IF04)

Important notes

Please give at least three working days advance notice of your inspection request.  Council endeavours to arrange inspections as soon as possible, however in periods of high building activity or staff absence, the inspection may need to be done later than you request.

Council cannot normally satisfy your request for an inspection with less than 24 hours notice.

It is your responsibility (or your agent’s) to notify Council that you require an inspection.

Make sure you have the approved plans and documentation on site.  If these are not available when the inspector arrives, the inspection may not take place, and you will be charged for a re-inspection.

The owner, or builder, or agent (e.g. architect) must be on site for all inspections.

Make sure that you, or your agent, arranges for any inspections that your engineer or consultant is required to carry out, and advise Council when these are completed.  If these inspections are not carried out, the Council may have difficulty issuing the code compliance certificate.

Result of the inspection

If the work passes

The Inspector will advise the person on site if the inspection has been passed.

If the work fails the inspection

The work to be remedied will be recorded on the site inspection sheet.  A re-inspection may be required to sign off any remedial work.  The following may also occur:

  • Work may have to stop
  • Work will be allowed to continue under certain conditions (conditional continuation)
  • You may be asked to apply for amendment to the building consent in order to achieve compliance with the building code
  • If there has been a serious breach of the  Building Act 2004 or regulations, Council may issue a notice to fix

You will be charged for re-inspections and this will need to be paid before the code compliance certificate can be issued.

Notice to Fix

This is a formal notice issued by the building consent authority, advising that certain works have not been carried out in accordance with the building code. If issued, a letter explaining the process will accompany it.

If a notice to fix is issued, you are required to address the issues identified within a prescribed time frame, to prevent further action being taken.  A notice to fix may require to you stop work, or impose conditional continuation of works.

Enforcement of notices to fix is carried out by Council's monitoring contractor Environmental Inspections Ltd.

Final Inspection

All building consents require a final inspection.  All the building work approved in the building consent must be completed prior to the inspection being undertaken.  You will be asked to provide any outstanding documentation before the final inspection can be booked, including all necessary paperwork e.g. Memorandum (Records of Building Work) or a Notice of Owner-Builder form (forms can be downloaded from the Consent forms and guides A - Z page).

Code Compliance Certificate (CCC)

The owner or agent must apply for a Code Compliance Certificate as soon as practicable after all building work is completed.

When all the building work is completed in accordance with the building consent, a code compliance certificate (CCC) can be issued.  This is a verification from the building consent authority that all works undertaken (as described in the approved documents) comply with the building consent and the NZ Building Code.  It is an important document, and should be retained for future reference.

You should apply for a CCC once all consented building work has been completed (and preferably when all inspections have been passed), by sending Council the completed application form.  Refer to your addenda for any other documentation required by Council prior to the issue of CCC.

Note: the application form must be signed by the owner or their authorised agent.  Please ensure all information on the application is complete and correct.  An application form can be downloaded from the Consent forms and guides A - Z page.

Council has 20 working days in which to decide whether to issue, or refuse to issue, a CCC.  Council must decide two years after the building consent has been granted whether or not to issue a CCC (even if a CCC has not been applied for).  If the work is not going to be completed within two years, it is essential that you advise Council.

If the building consent was issued under the 1991 Act, Council may issue a CCC if we are satisfied that the building work complies with the building code and the Building Act.

Older building consents do present Council with a problem when considering the issue of a CCC, particularly when we are looking at construction details and the maintenance history.  If Council is not able to confirm the necessary details, we may refuse to issue a CCC.  See building consents more than four years old for more information.

If Council refuses to issue a CCC, and if you consider this is not justified, you can apply to the Ministry of Business, Innovation & Employment for a determination –details on their website