Health and safety
Nelson City Council Health and Safety Policy
Nelson City Council is committed to providing and maintaining a work environment that is safe and healthy for all its workers and those affected by Council's work.
At Council, we work together to deliver outcomes safely and to advance our vision of a Zero Harm workplace. Health, Safety and Wellbeing is an essential part of our work environment and workplace culture.
Recognising the diverse range of risks in the organisation, management and all workers will work together to achieve a safe environment by :
- Ensuring their own safety and ensuring that their actions, or inactions, do not cause harm to others.
- Having clear and well understood health and safety responsibilities.
- Demonstrating management commitment through visible leadership; an understanding of health and safety management principles; and providing appropriate resources, training and supervision.
- Systematically identifying workplace hazards and managing all health and safety risks to a level as low as reasonably practicable.
- Working to prevent injury and harmful health or wellbeing impacts in the workplace. This includes encouraging workers to report any pain or discomfort as soon as possible and supporting the safe and early return to work of employees following injury or illness.
- Actively and accurately reporting, recording and investigating all incidents and taking appropriate corrective and preventative actions.
- Supporting active employee and union participation in health, safety and wellbeing.
- Seeking continuous improvement to health and safety systems.
- Meeting legal requirements, including the Health and Safety at Work Act, and its supporting regulations and guidelines.
- Creating a just culture based on the principles of open reporting, and taking a fair and reasonable approach for workers who openly report mistakes.
Management and workers will co-operate to ensure our Health and Safety objectives are achieved, we create a safe work environment and a Zero Harm culture.
Signed by David Hammond, Chief Executive
Date: August 2017
Next Review Date: 1 September 2018