Rachel Reese, Mayor of Nelson
Mayor Reese's contact information
Phone: +64 3 546 0242
Mobile: 027 246 7766
Email: Email Mayor Reese
Elected Nelson’s first female Mayor on October 18, 2013, and re-elected in 2016, Mayor Reese has served on Nelson City Council for more than nine years, including three as Deputy Mayor.
Her extensive resource management, business, local government and community expertise includes:
- Over 15 years experience in resource consent and plan change processes for both private clients and a city council decision maker.
- Business Owner for 20 years, 14 years in Nelson
- Extensive involvement in business affairs through private consultancy, economic development initiatives and role as a shareholder for Nelson City Council strategic infrastructure companies.
- Member Arbitrators’ and Mediators’ Institute of New Zealand
- Member Resource Management Law Association
- Chair of Council Committees and Portfolio Holder
- Member Nelson Regional Transport Committee
- Member Nelson Tasman Civil Defence Emergency Management Group
- Resource Consent Commissioner
- Member Environmental Legal Assistance Panel
- Trustee Cawthron Institute Trust Board
- Member Rotary Club of Nelson
- Patron of: Nelson United Bowling Club, The Duke of Edinburgh’s Hillary Award for Nelson; Nelson Friendship Force
- A Graduate Diploma in Business Studies (Dispute Resolution) specialising in Mediation
- Bachelor of Commerce – Management
Mayor Reese believes Nelson is the best region in New Zealand to raise children - whether you're a parent or a grandparent.
“Nelson is a city in good heart and we’re learning what success looks like in many areas, from economy to sporting to culture and environment. My vision for the new Council is to help support and grow a successful city through:
- Thinking and acting strategically.
- Doing the things that will really make a difference.
- Less visioning and more action.
- Working in partnership with others - business, iwi, central government, NGOs.
“I believe in the value of Local Government. Local Government New Zealand’s Vision Statement is: Local democracy powering community and national success. That message really resonates with me. I also believe in the strength of partnership.”
In her spare time Mayor Reese enjoys walking, cycling, fishing and is a ‘learner’ kayaker.