Nelson Youth Council
The Nelson Youth Council is a group of twenty diverse young people aged 14-24 who work to make the city a better place for youth and to give young people a voice in Nelson.
We have representatives in every secondary school in the Nelson region, as well as NMIT and community representatives. We meet monthly in the Council Chamber to discuss youth issues, actions and projects we have on the go.
Applications for the 2018 Nelson Youth Council have closed.
Youth Council Aims
- Give Nelson youth a real voice
- Discuss and work towards solutions with the Nelson City Council and Nelson youth on issues and projects that concern young people in Nelson
- Bring the needs and concerns of young people to the attention of local and central government
- Assist with Nelson City Council’s planning processes to ensure a youth voice is heard by the Council
- Identify local youth needs and resources (and bring these to attention)
- Provide experience of local government to youth
To carry out these aims we work with Nelson City Council officers and external organisations, such as the electoral office and Smokefree Rockquest. We make submissions to Council, organise and support youth events, and sponsor youth awards. We also run our own projects and initiatives around issues we have found important to young people in the community.
A few things we have done recently include:
- Submitted to Council’s 2017/18 Annual Plan based on youth-specific concerns
- Sponsored an award for best crowd engagement at the regional Smokefree Rockquest finals
- Launched a Facebook series for Youth Week 2017 asking students around Nelson what they would like their City Councillors to know
We submit on the Nelson City Council’s annual plan every year, surveying over 400 youth to support our submission in 2017. We also submit on a variety of other issues, such as Council bylaws. Two Youth Councillors attend most Nelson City Council and committee meetings to provide a youth voice to Council. We also write articles for Our Nelson to update the public on our work.
We are all about hearing the voice of youth! If you have anything that you think needs to be said feel free to get in contact with one of us or visit our Facebook page so we can represent you!
If you would like to contact the Nelson Youth Council, contact our coordinator, Steve Stiles firstname.lastname@example.org
Or visit our Facebook page or subscribe for details about Youth Council activities and awesome youth events going on in Nelson. facebook.com/nelsonyouthcouncil