Nelson Youth Council
The Nelson Youth Council is a group of twenty diverse young people aged 14-24 who work to make the city a better place for youth and to give young people a voice in Nelson.
We have representatives in every secondary school in the Nelson region, as well as NMIT and community representatives. We meet monthly in the Council Chamber to discuss youth issues, actions and projects we have on the go.
Visit our Facebook page for details about Youth Council activities and awesome youth events going on in Nelson.
Youth Council Aims
- Give Nelson youth a real voice
- Discuss and work towards solutions with the Nelson City Council and Nelson youth on issues and projects that concern young people in Nelson
- Bring the needs and concerns of young people to the attention of local and central government
- Assist with Nelson City Council’s planning processes to ensure a youth voice is heard by the Council
- Identify local youth needs and resources (and bring these to attention)
- Provide experience of local government to youth
To carry out these aims we work with Nelson City Council officers and external organisations, such as the electoral office and Smokefree Rockquest. We make submissions to Council, organise and support youth events, and sponsor youth awards. We also run our own projects and initiatives around issues we have found important to young people in the community.
A few things we have done recently include:
- Towards the end of 2017 we submitted to the Youth Strategy Action Plan of which we will continue to support the Nelson City Council grow and develop throughout this year.
- Working alongside Sport Tasman during 2017 running a competition to develop a mural for the ‘Old Lumpy SkatePark’. We will be working with the winners to develop their works of art during 2018.
- We are working on an intergenerational project with Age Concern Nelson Tasman to help interlace two different sectors of society. We hope to develop a project to help ignite strong relationships between different age groups to reduce loneliness and social division within our community.
- Organising a Facebook series for Nelson Heritage Festival of which we interview 12 young people from all over Nelson about what their favourite part of Nelson Heritage is and why. This is to help young people in the community have a greater connection, respect and understanding about the history of Nelson.
Two Youth Councillors attend most Nelson City Council and committee meetings to provide a youth voice to Council. We also write articles for Our Nelson to update the public on our work.
We are all about hearing the voice of youth! If you have anything that you think needs to be said feel free to get in contact with one of us or visit our Facebook page so we can represent you!
Applications for the 2019 Nelson Youth Council will open in September 2018.
Contact the Nelson Youth Council through our coordinator, Rachael Large email@example.com