Plan Change A3
Woodburner Plan Change Update
At its meeting on 8 September 2016, Council approved to make the Woodburner Plan Change (PC A3) operative as of Monday 19 September 2016.
The plan change means that residents are now able to lodge building consent applications to install Ultra-Low Wood Burners (ULEBs) in Airsheds B2 and C:
In Airshed B2 (Stoke) an additional 999 ULEBs are permitted in new homes and homes without burners.
In Airshed C (Nelson North) an additional 599 ULEBs are permitted in new homes and homes without burners.
In Airshed A (Nelson Central) no ULEBs are permitted unless replacing an existing authorised woodburner.
In Airshed B1 (Tahunanui), no ULEBs are permitted unless replacing an existing authorised woodburner.
If you have any further queries or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact Richard Frizzell, our Environmental Programmes Adviser at: email: email@example.com or ph 03 546 0423.
- PCA3 Decision – Hearing Committee (Annexure 1 an attachment to the document) (1.8MB PDF)
- PCA3 Annexure 2 – Rules (782KB PDF)
- PCA3 Annexure 3 – Hearing Committee decisions on Submissions (1.1MB PDF)
- PC3 s42A Report (820KB PDF)
- Appendix 1 sub sum (785KB PDF)
- Appendix 2A Cover sheet (69KB PDF)
- Appendix 2B Meaning of Words (134KB PDF)
- Appendix 2C A6 Air Quality Rules (440KB PDF)
- Appendix 2D Appendix AQ2B (168KB PDF)
- Appendix 3 RP (664KB PDF)
- Appendix 4 EW (560KB PDF)
- Appendix 5 LM (451KB PDF)
- Appendix 6 Memo CB (137KB PDF)
- Appendix 7A Cover sheet (51KB PDF)
- Appendix 7B legal (266KB PDF)
- Public Notice of Proposed Plan Change A3 (525KB PDF)
- Nelson Air Quality Plan Change A3 - Proposed Plan Amendments (118KB PDF)
- Nelson Air Quality Plan - Plan Change A3 - Wood Burners - Section 32 Report (546KB PDF)
- Public notice of submissions (141KB PDF)
- Summary of decisions requested (544KB PDF)
- Proposed Change A3 to the Nelson Air Quality Plan report to Council (119KB PDF)
- Draft Behaviour Change and Monitoring-Modelling Programme (29KB PDF) to support this plan change
- Full copy of Further submissions (13MB PDF)
- Canterbury District Health Board (2012). Housing, home heating and air quality: a public health perspective. (1.2MB PDF)
- Environet. (2014a). Nelson Air Quality Assessment – Meeting the NES for PM10 2014 update (1.3MB PDF).
- Health and Air Pollution in Nelson – outputs from HAPINZ and evaluation of impact of changes from 2001 to 2013, July 2014 (1.5MB PDF)
- Environet. (2014c). Assessment of trends in PM10 concentrations in Airshed A and evaluation of airshed capacity (759KB PDF)
- Environet. (2014d). Nelson Air Emission Inventory – 2014, October 2014 (2.7MB PDF)
- Environet. (2015a). Air quality management in Nelson – modelling of additional scenarios – 2015. (722KB PDF)
- Environet. (2015b). Potential impacts of management measures - heating, household and fuel poverty data for Nelson - 2014 (938KB PDF)
- Golder (2015). Urban Airshed Modelling – Dispersion of PM10. Nelson Air Quality Plan – Air Quality Technical Assessment (3.2MB PDF)
- Kiddle, E. (2014). NCC Air Quality Plan - Possible Changes for Woodburner Rules: A Discussion Paper on Adverse Health Effects Related to Poor Air Quality and Cold Houses (1.4MB PDF)
- Market Economics (2015). Nelson City Council: Assessment of Air Quality Management Options. (1MB PDF)
- Ministry for the Environment (2002). Ambient Air Quality Guidelines. Retrieved from http://www.mfe.govt.nz/sites/default/files/ambient-guide-may02.pdf
- Parliamentary Commissioner for the Environment (2015). The state of air quality in New Zealand: Commentary by the Parliamentary Commissioner for the Environment on the 2014 Air Domain Report. (955KB PDF)