Nelson Biodiversity Forum
The Nelson Biodiversity is a group of 26 member organisations who work together to identify and align actions to improve Biodiversity in the Nelson area.
Three action plans were prepared by the Forum which are reviewed regularly. Each of the action plans includes a vision for the next 50 years and sets out priorities for the protection and enhancement of biodiversity in each of the habitats.
Key biodiversity projects have been identified by each of these action plans:
- Getting effective action to sustain the environmental health of Tasman Bay.
- Pursuing ecological restoration of the Maitai River and its riparian margins.
- Protecting and restoring existing alluvial, riparian and coastal ecosystems focusing special attention on the Whakapuaka Valley and Delaware Bay.
- Promoting public awareness of biodiversity in Nelson City and integrating biodiversity priorities into the ongoing development of the city.
- Download the Coastal and Marine Action Plan (172KB PDF)
- Download the Freshwater Action Plan (214KB PDF)
- Download the Terrestrial Action Plan (160KB PDF)
How does the Nelson Biodiversity Forum work?
The Forum meets quarterly to share progress on the implementation of the Action Plans.
Meetings are also an opportunity to educate and share information.
The Forum also provides an opportunity to identify better ways to work more co-operatively to provide solutions to some of Nelson’s biodiversity challenges. At times this has involved working collaboratively with government departments and neighbouring councils.
Some of the highlights since the formation of the Forum include:
- The Waimea Inlet Strategy and formation of the Waimea Inlet Forum
- Creation of an Eco-sourcing brochure (5.9MB PDF)
- Paremata Flats planting and pest control
- City Backdrop and Biodiversity Corridors recommendations (2MB PDF)
The Biodiversity Forum also has a strong drive to raise the awareness and profile of Nelson’s biodiversity to the wider community.
Nelson Biodiversity Forum members
- Nelson City Council
- Department of Conservation
- Forest and Bird
- Ngati Kuia
- Ngati Tama
- Ngāti Kōata
- Port Nelson Limited
- QE II National Trust
- Nelmac Limited
- Nelson Environment Centre
- Nelson Province of Federated Farmers
- Brook Waimarama Sanctuary Trust
- Cawthron Institute
- Cawthron Institute Trust Board
- Fish and Game [Nelson/Marlborough Region]
- Nelson/Tasman Toursim
- Nelson Forests Ltd
- Kaitiaki o Ngahere
- Fish & Wildlife Services Tom Kroos
- Hancock Forest Management
- Friends of Nelson Haven & Tasman Bay
- Nelson Tasman Weedbusters
- Dr Glen Lauder
- Ornithological Society of NZ (Nelson Branch)
- Waimea Inlet Forum
- Friends of the Maitai
- Southern Inshore Fisheries