How you can help
There are two main ways you can get involved in Project Maitai / Mahitahi; by taking part in community planting days during winter, or by joining community group Friends of the Maitai.
You can also do a few small things to help care for our river:
- When out walking your dog near the river (or anywhere in a public place for that matter), please make sure you pick up any dog poo. Faecal matter contributes to bacterial contamination of the water.
- Don’t wash your car where the soap suds may go down the storm water drain. All the storm water drains in Nelson feed directly into our treasured Maitai / Mahitahi River - detergent is damaging to fish life. The best place to wash your car is at a car wash or on your lawn.
- Oil and car grease should not be hosed down a storm water drain, for the same reason above.
- If you live near a stream, creek or river, please avoid dumping lawn clippings there. Green waste is harmful to native habitat and fish life.
- Please don’t litter in or near the river.
You can find out more about bathing water quality for Nelson’s rivers (including the Maitai / Mahitahi) and beaches here (418KB PDF).
The LAWA (Land, Air, Water Aotearoa) website is also great place to go for water quality data from all over New Zealand. LAWA is a source of trusted environmental information that allows people to discover more about the quality of rivers and make informed decisions.