Nelson online resources
Nelson Community Directory
- It's On: Nelson-Tasman events
Directory and guide to what is on in the region
- Nelson City Council
- Nelson Multicultural Council Inc
A non-government organisation which supports migrants, former refugees and people from minority ethnicities in the Nelson/Tasman region with their settlement process.
- Nelson Regional Economic Agency
A government agency which works to develop economic growth in the region and produces reports to track the regional economy
- Nelson Tasman Settlement Support
A site for new migrants to Nelson Tasman and those just arrived and settling in.
- Top of the South Maps
A Nelson and Tasman resource to provide access to Council data through maps. Use it to find property, services, planning and recreational information. Check the map layers to discover the range of information available.
Nelson Heritage resources
Websites, organisations and catalogues
Directory of Nelson resources for genealogists
- Community Archive - National Register of Archives and Manuscripts
New Zealand's hub for archival collections - explore by place to find Nelson regional resources
- Deeds system records 1840-1924
Nelson, Marlborough, Westland and Canterbury Land Districts. On Archway use advanced search and the records search path. In the accession field enter CH1034 for the Nelson Land District and search. From the results, look for the statement “Digitised record available” click on this statement to download file.
- Early Settlers Database
Early ship records for Nelson immigrants
- Kete Tasman
Digitised objects from the community and Waimea South historical collections. Includes a good World War One Collection.
- Marlborough Museums - Collections Online
- Nelson Cemeteries records
A database of burials in Nelson cemeteries. These can also be located on Top of the South Maps
- Nelson Provincial Museum
Find online objects through their Collections Online.
- The Prow
History, culture and stories from the top of the South Island
- Tasman District Council Cemeteries
- Te Ara
Overview of the Nelson region in this online Encyclopaedia of New Zealand
- Top of the South Maps
Cemetery (name and place) search, Prow story locations and some historic aerial photos are now available
- Waitangi Tribunal
Includes the full-text of reports on the region - Te Tau Ihu
- Church Messenger (Nelson)
The Diocesan paper 1887-1891
- The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Nelson, Marlborough & Westland Provincial Districts], 1906
An overview of the region's people and business in 1906.
- Early New Zealand Books - digitised NZ material. There is good local content in the following:
- 1842 - Ward, J. Nelson, the Latest Settlement of the New Zealand Company
- 1849 - Fox, William. Report on the Settlement of Nelson in New Zealand
- 1864 - von Hochstetter, Ferdinand. The Geology of New Zealand
- 1843 - Dieffenbach, Ernest. Travels in New Zealand [Vol.I] [Capper reprint, 1974] & [Vol.II]
- 1842 - Heaphy, C. Narrative of a Residence in Various Parts of New Zealand [Hocken 1970]
- 1845 - Wakefield, E.J. Adventure in New Zealand [Vol.I.] & [Vol.II.]
- Handbook to Nelson and Marlborough, by Frederick Algar
Australian & New Zealand Gazette, 1863
- Harvest of Grace. Essays in celebration of 100 years of Mission in the Anglican Diocese of Nelson
Standing Commitee of the Diocese of Nelson, 2010
- Jubilee history of Nelson from 1842 to 1892, by Lowther Broad
Available from NZETC
- Letters from Settlers & Labouring Emigrants in the New Zealand Company's Settlements of Wellington, Nelson, & New Plymouth: From February, 1842, to January, 1843 (Google eBook)
Smith, Elder & Company, 1843
- Nelson Historical Society Journal
Online version of the journals available from NZETC.
- Nelson Observed, by Chistopher Vine.
Available to Nelson Public Library members, or a member of any Overdrive partner library.
- Nelson Photo News
A pictorial record of Nelson life between 1960 and 1972
- Nelson, the latest settlement of the New Zealand Company by John Ward
Smith, Elder, 1842
- Papers Past
Digitised national and local (including historic Nelson) newspapers to 1920.
- Te Tau Ihu o Te Waka: History of Maori of Marlborough and Nelson, v.1
Te Tau Ihu o Te Waka: History of Maori of Marlborough and Nelson, v.2. Te Ara Hou ; by John & Hilary Mitchell, 2004-. Huia Publishers