Youth employment profiles
Purpose of these profiles
- These profiles have been developed to assist young people to make training and career choices based on the employment opportunities in the region.
- These profiles aim to give accurate local information on employment prospects in the Nelson region, in a straightforward and logical manner.
How to use the profiles
- People are encouraged to read through the profiles of interest.
- Additional information and training opportunities can be obtained by using the contact details included in each profile, and from the contact sheet at the end.
- Copies from the copying file can be made and given out.
- A folder of original profiles should be held as a resource with the Careers Advisor, Tutor or appropriate person at each agency. Follow up discussion with a careers advisor, tutor, or someone with whom they feel comfortable is encouraged so that interests are pursued and appropriate plans are put in place.
Each Profile covers
- Introduction to the industry – giving basic information about each area.
- Employment in the industry – more detailed information about type of jobs and numbers employed.
- What employers are looking for – specific skills that you will need to do the job and attributes employers are looking for.
- Current skill shortages – areas that need more employees.
- Employment categories – a detailed description of each job within the industry with pay rates, staffing levels and training.
- Some training pathways to employment – local training opportunities as well as other contacts for information.
- Major employers – a list of some local employers.
The fifteen major Nelson-Tasman employment industries
There are fifteen key industries in the Nelson-Tasman region. Eac h of these has been profiled in downloadable PDF files.
- Agriculture (131KB PDF) (135K)
- Aviation (130KB PDF) (131K)
- Construction (141KB PDF) (144K)
- Education (115KB PDF) (117K)
- Engineering (120KB PDF) (122k)
- Forestry (147KB PDF) (147K)
- Health and Community (135KB PDF) (138K)
- Horticulture (135KB PDF) (138K)
- Information Technology (128KB PDF) (128K)
- Private Sector (100KB PDF) (102K)
- Public Service Industry (106KB PDF) (107K)
- Retail (124KB PDF) (127K)
- Road Transport (130KB PDF) (133K)
- Seafood (172KB PDF) (176K)
- Tourism (132KB PDF) (135K)