Total Mobility passenger transport
Nelson Tasman door-to-door transport services for people with disabilities
Total Mobility is a door-to-door passenger transport scheme designed to use regular taxi vehicles and modified taxis for wheelchair access. Its purpose is to increase the mobility of people with disabilities, so that they may access passenger transport in a similar fashion to others in the community.
In the Nelson and Tasman regions, the Nelson City Council administers the Total Mobility Scheme, with Tasman District Council making a contribution towards the budget. The local authorities fund the local share of the budget via rates, with the remainder coming from New Zealand Transport Agency funding.
The scheme entitles eligible people to receive a discount on their taxi fare by way of Total Mobility vouchers subject to local conditions. The vouchers can be used in other regions of New Zealand where a local authority operates the scheme subject to that authority's conditions. The current discount rate is 50% to a maximum discount of $10 per trip.
Nelson Tasman Total Mobility operates within the regions administered by Nelson City Council and Tasman District Council:
- Northeast of Nelson City to the Marlborough District Council boundary at the Rai Saddle
- Nelson City and suburbs
- South including urban and rural Richmond, Hope, Brightwater and Wakefield to Buller District Council boundary south of Murchison
- Northwest to Mapua, Motueka and Golden Bay
Participating transport services operators
|Freedom Companion Driving Services||(03) 539 4856 or (021) 355 firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Nelson City Taxis||+64 3 548 8225||(includes 5 wheelchair hoist equipped vehicles)|
|Sun City Taxis||+64 3 548 2666|
|Ray of Sunshine Assisted Living||+64 3 email@example.com|
|Driving Miss Daisy||+64 3 547 firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Motueka regional Ambulance||+64 3 528 7645 or 027 221 2122||(For people requiring wheelchair hoist vehicle only)|
|There are currently no participating transport operators in Golden Bay.|
Who can use Total Mobility
This scheme is only available to people with a disability which impairs their mobility to a level that stops them from using a public bus service or requires the constant assistance of another person. All applicants are assessed for eligibility by an agency approved by the Council.
An eligible person must have an impairment that prevents them from undertaking any one or more of the following five components of a journey unaccompanied, on a bus, train or ferry in a safe and dignified manner:
- Getting to the place from where the transport depart
- Getting onto the transport
- Riding securely
- Getting off transport
- Getting to the destination
Acceptable reasons could be inability or difficulty to:
- Walk 500 metres unaided, approximate distance from Nelson's clock tower up Trafalgar Street to Hardy Street
- Understand and follow directions, comumunicate clearly with others, read timetables and place names
- Understand and use available information to assist you to plan and undertake short journeys by public transport
- Enter and exit public transport safely unaided
- Taking responsibility for ones own personal safety and dignity throughout the journey
- Handle money to purchase the required fare
How to join Total Mobility
The agencies listed below are responsible for assessing people's eligibility to join the Total Mobility Scheme and issuing the Total Mobility vouchers. These agencies are permitted to charge an assessment fee. We suggest you join an agency that provides services for people with a similar disability to your own.
Please note that being a member of a Total Mobility agency, having a disability and the fact that your area of Nelson City/Tasman District is not covered by a public bus service, does not automatically make you eligible for Total Mobility vouchers.
Approved Total Mobility agencies contact details
|Age Concern Richmond||+64 3 544 7624|
|CCS Disability Action Nelson Marlborough||+64 3 548 4479|
|Epilepsy NZ (Nelson)||+64 3 546 6398 or 0800 202 122|
|Idea Services Nelson (IHC)||+64 3 538 1100|
|Royal NZ Foundation for the Blind||+64 3 547 6616 or 0800 243 333|
|SF Nelson (Mental health)||+64 3 546 6090|
|Stroke Foundation||+64 3 545 8177 or 025 216 0675|
Join the scheme
Contact one of the above-listed agencies to join the scheme. To apply you can either download the application form below or pick up a copy from the Nelson City Council customer service centre. Completed forms should be returned to the assessment agency.
Find out more
For more information or assistance contact
Customer Service Team
Nelson City Council
PO Box 645 Nelson 7040
+64 3 546 0200
- Total Mobility Scheme application form (166KB PDF)
- Total Mobility Scheme information for members (49KB PDF)
Mobility Parking Permit
The Mobility Parking Permit is a different scheme, which is administered by
CCS Disability Action Nelson Marlborough
+64 3 548 4479
|P30 Time Limited Zone||double time to 60 minutes|
|P30 Metered Space||(after initial payment) double time to 60 minutes|
|P60 Time Limited Zone||double time to 120 minutes|
|P60 Metered Space||(after initial payment) double time to 120 minutes|
|Pay and Display||Pay for the first hour and the next hour is free|
Your permit allows you to park in designated Mobility Car Parks in all private car parks, for example shopping malls, hospitals and supermarkets.
- There are no concessions for parking in a designated Mobility Car Park where Time Limits apply
- There are no concessions for parking under 30 minutes, for example P15, P10, P5, P3, P2
- There are no concessions for parking in time zones P120 or P180
UK mobility parking badges accepted in Nelson
Nelson City Council accepts UK parking badge, please check with other local authorities if travelling around New Zealand; most do accept it.