Rates postponement scheme
Are you a senior citizen and having difficulty paying your rates? Would postponing your rates assist you in staying in your home? Council offers a Rates Postponement Scheme for older homeowners that lets you defer paying rates – for the rest of your life or until you sell your home.
The objective of the postponement policy is to enable Council to provide older ratepayers with more options and flexibility. It lets older ratepayers decide how best to manage their finances and also gives older ratepayers the opportunity to stay in their houses for longer.
Do you qualify?
The following conditions and criteria apply:
- The ratepayer must be over the age of 65 (or over the age of 60 if on a benefit)
- The property must be insured
- The postponed rates must not exceed 80 per cent of the available equity in the property. The available equity is the difference between the Council’s valuation of the property (the capital value at the most recent revaluation) and the value of any encumbrances against the property, including mortgages or loans.
- The property must be the prime residence of the ratepayer and owner occupied.
How much does it cost?
The cost of the scheme is paid entirely by those whose rates are postponed – it is not subsidised by other ratepayers or funding. In addition to the annual rates, you will also pay:
- Six-monthly interest at our marginal rate
- Annual levy of 1.25% on balance to pay for scheme management and reserve fund
- $100 application fee
Find out more
We’ve put together a brochure that explains the rates postponement scheme in detail, along with an eligibility form. You can get a copy from Nelson City Council at Civic House, or download the Rates Postponement for Senior Ratepayers Brochure (192KB PDF).
Contacts for rates enquiries
You can contact Council's Customer Service Team on +64 3 546 0200, Fax +64 3 546 0392 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Nelson City Council
PO Box 645
110 Trafalgar Street
Phone 546 0200 (all hours)
Fax: 546 0239