Nelson Youth Strategy
In discussion this year Nelson City Council identified there was more work to be done exploring the priorities for its work with youth. As a result Council decided to develop a Youth Strategy to refresh Council’s understanding of the key needs of young people, and what Council’s role may be in meeting those needs.
The strategy will help to meet Council’s community outcomes:
- We support young people to grow into resourceful and resilient adults
- Our youth can live, learn and work in Nelson
- We nurture our young people so Nelson is a safe and healthy place for everyone to grow up and live
- We support and mentor our youth to become the leaders of the future
Council is currently gathering feedback from stakeholders in the community on:
- What are the key issues young people in Nelson face
- What should Council’s role be in addressing these
- What are the key attributes Nelson offers young people
- What would enhance the experience of young people in Nelson
- How should Council prioritise its focus
- What services are available to young people
If you would like to provide early feedback, please get in touch with either:
Gabrielle Thorpe, Policy Adviser, 03 546 0305 email@example.com
Shanine Hermsen, Manager Community Partnerships, 03 546 0421 firstname.lastname@example.org
Reference group meetings:
You may also be interested in attending a reference group meeting, to help advise us on the process and content of the strategy. The first reference group meeting is on Tuesday 22 November 2016 from 1.30 pm -3 pm at the Trafalgar Pavilion in Trafalgar Park. You don’t need to register for this, you can just turn up on the day.
There is likely to be at least two reference group meetings and some email exchanges and if you are unable to make the November meeting you are welcome to join us in any of the later stages. Just consult this site for future meeting dates and strategy updates.