Plan Change 18
Publicly notified 28 August 2010
OPERATIVE 17 AUGUST 2015
At its meeting on 23 July 2015, Nelson City Council resolved to make proposed Plan Change 18 (Nelson South) operative on 17 August 2015. This was publically notified on 8 August 2015.
The operative Plan Change text can be found in Appendix 1 of the Commissioners’ Decision report and in the Consent Order. Documents can be viewed at the “Documents and Downloads” section at the bottom of the page.
The main features of the Plan Change are to:
- Rezone land in the Nelson South area from Rural to Residential and Rural Higher Density Small Holdings Area (see downloads section)
- Apply a services overlay to these Residential and Rural Higher Density Small Holdings Area zones
- Apply an Esplanade reserve to the western arm of Saxton Creek
Decisions were notified on 30 June 2012. Four appeals were lodged with the Environment Court and seven others sought to be party to proceedings under s274 of the Resource Management Act 1991.
The only affected provisions of Plan Change 18 were those that were subject to appeal, all other proposed provisions (those not subject to appeal) were “treated as operative” under RMA s86F.
The full appeal and s274 notices are available for download below under the “Documents and Downloads” section.
Submissions, Hearing and Decisions
Plan Change 18 was publicly notified on 28 August 2010. Submissions closed on 1 November 2010 with 14 submissions received. A summary of submissions was publicly notified on 11 December 2010 and 29 further submissions were received.
Council engaged a hearing panel (chaired by an Independent Commissioner and assisted by Councillors) to hear and make decisions on submissions to Plan Change 18. A hearing was held on 31 October and 1 November 2011 and decisions were publicly notified on 30 June 2012.
The decisions were to approve the Plan Change as notified subject to the following amendments:
- alteration to the esplanade reserve requirements for sites which have subdivision approval;
- addition to the left hand planning map to show a ‘Proposed Road (Indicative Alignment Only)’ from John Sutton Place to Hill Street North.
Nelson City Council, Tasman District Council and the community worked together to plan for the development of the Nelson South and Richmond East area. This followed on from the Nelson Urban Growth Strategy (2006) that identified this area as having potential for residential development.
After background research and consultation with the community, proposed changes to both Council’s Resource Management Plans were developed. Tasman District Council has tackled the Richmond East area and Nelson City Council looked at the Nelson South area. The changes proposed for the Nelson area, collectively known as Plan Change 18 were as follows:
- Rezone Areas C and D and the lower portion of 187 Champion Road and 203 Champion Road from Rural to Residential
- Rezone 3A, 3B, 3C and 3D Hill Street and the upper portion of 187 Champion Road from Rural to Rural - Higher Density Small Holdings Area
- Apply a Services Overlay to the proposed Residential and Rural - Higher Density Small Holdings Area zones.
- Apply an Esplanade Reserve on both sides of the western arm of Saxton Creek
Documents and downloads
- Public notice of proposed Plan Change 18 (30KB PDF)
- Plan change document - Plan Change 18 (492KB PDF)
- Section 32 Report (547KB PDF)
- Public notice inviting further submissions (29KB PDF)
- Summary of decisions requested (243KB PDF)
- Officer’s (s42A) Report (4.5MB PDF)
- Public notice of decisions (26KB PDF)
- Decisions of Commissioners report (559KB PDF)
- May 2015 - Consent Order (2.8MB PDF)
- Public notice of operative date (61KB PDF)
Trustees of the McFadden family trust - DOWNLOADS
- Notice of Appeal: Trustees of the McFadden Family Trust (123KB PDF)
- RMA s274 party to proceedings: Anthony Scott, Richard Smith, Brent Smith (32KB PDF)
- RMA s274 party proceedings: Wahanga 2011 Limited (34KB PDF)
- RMA s274 party proceedings: Peter & Andrea Hamilton/Christopher Hardiman (30KB PDF)
Hamilton and Hardyman - DOWNLOADS
- Notice of Appeal: Peter Hamilton, Andrea Hamilton and Christopher Hardiman (91KB PDF)
- RMA s274 party proceedings: Christopher Strong, Peter Fry, Nigel & Philippa McFadden, Michael & Maria Lowe and Julian Raine (48KB PDF)
Julian Raine - DOWNLOADS
- Notice of Appeal: Julian Raine (3.6MB PDF)
- RMA s274 party proceedings: Trustees of McFadden Family Trust (51KB PDF)
RG Griffin childrens trust - DOWNLOADS
- Notice of Appeal: RG Griffin Childrens Trust (1.6MB PDF)
- RMA s274 party proceedings: Peter Fry, Andrea & Peter Hamilton, Christopher Hardiman, Maria Louise & Michael Lowe, Nigel & Philippa McFadden (Trustees of the McFadden Trust) and Christopher Strong (50KB PDF)
- RMA s274 party proceedings: Julian Raine (27KB PDF)
For more information contact the Planning Adviser on +64 3 546 0338.