Nelson Tasman Business Trust
Building New and Existing Business
Who we are
The Nelson Tasman Business Trust offers free help for your business. Our services are confidential, without obligation and free of charge (except for Network Meetings).
The Trust is funded by local councils and other organisations to foster business initiatives in the Nelson-Tasman region.
NTBT coordinates a group of advisers and mentors who offer free confidential advice to new and existing business. NTBT is also the Nelson agency for a range of programmes aiming to assist business growth.
The funders and sponsors include: Nelson City Council, Tasman District Council, The Canterbury Community Trust, Work and Income New Zealand, Network Tasman Trust, and West Yates Ltd.
What we do
The Nelson Tasman Business Trust services are free, confidential and include:
- Individual consultations with business owners/managers
- Business Mentors New Zealand - mentoring from experienced business people
- Company Rebuilder help from an experienced business executive
- Talent Team Referrals for a one-off appointment with a business consultant
- Training for people thinking about business or in the stages of starting up
- Business Network meetings
- Nelson Business Directory Database, listing of over 3,000 businesses
You can get help from us
- If you want to start a business.
- To talk through a business idea.
- If you are new to business and need advice (GST, PAYE etc).
- For a fresh point of view on your business.
- If you are having business problems.
How to contact us
The Nelson Business Directory is a listing of businesses in the Nelson region detailing the products and services they supply. The database can be used for a general search for businesses who supply certain products or services, or can be more specifically used to look for certain companies, their geographical location, brands, almost anything! Access the NBD database...
Be Your Own Boss (BYOB)
is a programme available for clients referred by Work and Income NZ, offering free start up training to help produce a business plan and intensive training for those planning to go into business for themselves.
Courses cover a range of business skills including:
Business Grow offers free confidential advice and referrals for existing businesses and is available to any small to medium sized business in the Nelson-Tasman area. This is a consultative service where your business needs are assessed and appropriate professional assistance offered.
Business Grow can help you access information on:
- Legal issues
- Employment/human resources
- Compliance with regulations (Employment, OSH, Consumer Protection, Tax)
Business Mentors New Zealand
This is where experienced business people share their knowledge and skills to help others in business.
This is a free service where client and mentor are matched depending on expertise sought. You get an empathetic person to talk about your challenges and difficulties, and help identify strategies and growth opportunities.
Who are the mentors? These people are not consultants. They volunteer as personal business coaches and have:
- the ability to listen and communicate
- empathy for people in small businesses
- clear understanding of business skills and modern management practices
- specialist skills like accounting, marketing, production management, intellectual property protection
- the ability to guide without taking over.
Mentors sign a non-disclosure agreement, and clients sign a disclaimer to safeguard the mentor against liability.
The objective is to make the client self-sufficient as quickly as possible.
Business Network Meetings
NTBT also offers regular network meetings where people can share ideas, brainstorm on a problem and get some tips from a guest speaker.
People who are self employed, partners in business or interested in self-employment. You don’t need to be in business to attend.
As well as guest speakers and networking opportunities you may be able to ask the group to brainstorm on any problems your business has.
- Promote your business
- Gain confidence
- Keep up to date with legislation and business trends
- Learn new skills
- Share ideas
Check the Nelson Tasman Business Trust website for more details.
A network of very experienced retired business executives who donate their skills and time to assist new and existing small businesses with problems. The service is confidential and can relate to financial or operational problems. Assistance can cover:
- Starting a business — a "warrant of fitness" check
- Developing a fledgling business
- Expanding a soundly-based business
- Financial or operational business problems