Corridor Access Request
If you are planning to carry out any work or activity that affects the normal operation of the road, footpath or berm, you must submit a Corridor Access Request (CAR) before you start. CARs ensure that all work is done safely and complies with national regulations.
The National Code of Practice for Utility Operators' Access to Transport Corridors defines the set of standards for working in the road and the Corridor Access Request (CAR) processes. The Code is mandatory under the Utilities Access Act 2010 and applies to all works carried out in the road corridor, whether the work is for or by a utility, local government, commercial organisation or private individual(s).
All Reinstatements must comply with the Nelson Land development Manual 2010
All Traffic Management must comply with NZTAs CoPTTM 4th edition
Excavation Corridor Access Request (CAR)
If you are:
- Digging, drilling, resurfacing, or doing any other activity that will alter, or cause to be altered, the surface of the road corridor.
- Placing any pipe, duct, pole, cabinet or other structure below, on or above the road corridor.
- Building a new driveway or installing a new stormwater drain that leads into the road corridor.
- Building a new fence and your work site or equipment encroaches onto the road corridor.
- Near or opening manhole access covers.
Non-Excavation Corridor Access Request (NECAR)
If you are:
- Placing a skip/bin or container.
- Putting up a temporary scaffolding (mobile or fixed).
- Using or parking machinery such as cranes, cherry pickers and water blasters.
- Applying for a full or partial road or footpath closure to carry out work on or above the road, TMP.
Steps to applying for a CAR
Submit CAR applications online at Submitica.co.nz
- Step 1: Register or log in to Submitica.co.nz.
- Step 2: Create a new application, type: Excavation.
Step 3: Follow the prompts to fill in your application and upload all required documentation.
• You will be able to preview the details of your application before you submit it.
- Step 4: Submit.
- Step 5: Your request will be confirmed and you will be given a unique job number - use this number in all communication and extension requests. You will also be emailed a confirmation of your request containing the job number, the name of your NCC contact person, and a summary of your submission.
- Step 6: The Council Corridor Access team will review your application and will contact you for your final start date before the work can be approved.
- Step 7: Council will approve the application or let you know if more information is needed
Approval, cost and payment
Submitting an application is not an authority to start work, unless it is an emergency. You must wait until you receive your approved permit by email.
Applications must be made at least 5 working days before work starts, although they are usually processed faster.
These fees are separate to any fees incurred by third party service providers to complete Traffic Management Plans or other work. Fees are listed below.
The applicant will be the bill-payer for all activities unless Council approves other arrangements. The bill-payer (applicant) must submit a completed customer application form or supply their customer number before their application will be processed.
Starting work and closing off when complete
Work can start once your CAR is approved.
Closing off a CAR
When you have completed the work and made appropriate reinstatement, log in to Submitica and change the status of the job to “Work Completion Notified”.
We will be automatically notified that the job has been completed and an AT Compliance Auditor will carry out an inspection to certify the work is up to standard.
Completed work is put on a 2-year warranty period. If it fails (or the reinstatement is not up to standard), you are liable for correction work.
|Until 30 June 2018||From 1 July 2018|
|Standard C.A.R Fees||$75.00||$76.20|
|Multiple openings on one application where work is deemed to be one job (1)||$25.00||$25.50|
|Non Approval Penalty (2)||$250.00||$254.00|
|Inspection fee (min two per C.A.R) (3)||$75.00||$76.20|
|Where an asphalt surface is within a chipseal then a texturising contribution will be charged at $7.50 per m2|
(1) Multiple openings - - only apply where there are more than one excavation related to a single job, a charge for each opening other than the initial excavation.
(2) Non Approved Penalty notice for not submitting a Car application, this fee is on top of a standard Car application fee.
(3) Inspection fee - Where remedial work is required and after remedial work is completed to Nelson City Council satisfaction.
For further information please contact the Roading Co-ordinator via email or on 03 265 6978 .